Albany County Department for Children, Youth, and Families: Children’s Mental Health Division
Harold L. Joyce Albany County Office Building
112 State Street, Room 300, Albany, NY 12207 Facebook: Albany County DCYF
Contact: Gail Geohagen-Pratt, Commissioner
Phone: (518) 447-7324 Fax: (518) 447-7578
Services Provided: Our diverse array of individualized treatment options includes crisis support, evaluation, on-going services, and community referrals. (See Below)
Children’s Mental Health Clinic
Hours: Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm; Wednesday evenings by appt.
- Emergency appointments for children (ages 5-18) in crisis (e.g., dangerous or Impulsive behavior, suicidal statements or gestures, threats to harm others.)
- Planned appointments to assess a child’s need for therapy or other community services Psychiatric consultation and assessment
- Referral and access to crisis services including psychiatric hospitals, crisis residences, and other community supports. Service coordination and discharge planning provided
- Consultation regarding a wide range of circumstances that pose a potential challenge to a child’s mental health
- Linkage to respite services
- Outpatient Treatment:
- On-going outpatient therapy
- Psychiatric consultation and assessment
- Medication prescription & management
Population Served: Albany County Youth Ages 5-18 years old
Single Point of Access (SPOA) Services Provided:
- Aims to identify those children with the highest risk of placement in out-of-home settings and seeks to develop appropriate strategies to safely manage those children in their communities.
- Access to high-end case management services including WAIVER, Intensive Case Management,
Supportive Case Management and Community Transition Team Access to Community Residences and Residential Treatment Facilities.
Case Management Services Services Provided:
- Intensive Case Management (ICM) services and Supportive Case Management (SCM) services are available for children and adolescents with serious emotional disturbances; who are at risk for hospitalization or out of home placement.
- Case managers provide crisis intervention/management and referral/linkage to community resources
- Case managers provide advocacy and support to assist families in obtaining services to safely maintain the child with their family in the community.
Child Forensic Services
Services Provided: Forensic psychologists conduct assessments and participate in consultation regarding children and families involved with Albany Family Court, Probation and child protective services.
Services Provided: Parent Partners are available to offer support, education, and assistance to parents, whose children are being seen at the clinic, are involved in the SPOA process or receives case management services.
Albany Medical Center Psychiatry
43 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208
Phone: (518) 262-5511
Services Provided: Treatment for depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, co-occurring substance abuse, and dependence, eating disorders, trauma, personality disorders, attention deficit disorders, adjustment disorders and others.